Sunday, 31 May 2020

Inaspettato - The Unexpected

Day 1 

12.10.2009 , got up as usual at 04:30, but with a bad state of health condition,stomach was not behaving as it should be for a healthy body and mind.It was tiring as I have not eaten for the last 2 days.
The second half of the day was a little bit better as I had the energy to get up from the bed and drink something. As I went back to bed again it was almost getting dark and I could see through my window the rain clouds gathering. Heard the ringing of my wife’s phone which was followed by her panic struck voice, I got up to know what the reasonWas.  Her father is not well and there is some serious issue.
My body was not in a state to accept the fact that I had to go out to see him and do what has to be done. The mind had already started acting on what has to be done in a good pace.Rushing for the medical aid to the nearest hospital was on the priority and did the same and was referred  to a specialist for better medical care.
The nature had done its part in cooling down the sun scorched earth in a good way,   It was almost 11:20 pm. Me , my better half and mother in law where waiting outside the CCU with crossed fingers with heavy heart and mind not talking to each other but silently communicating and praying for a speedy recovery. I was a bit relieved with the thought that we had brought him at the right time for the best medical care and supervision, not so with the case of my wife and mother in law. Only now I could notice the burden , sorrow and grievance on the faces of  other people around. The time rushed along to the second half of night and was busy buying medicines, paying cash and all other routine things an hospitalisation could bring on.

Day 2 

The morning was much more calm and the day too went with ease but the fall of night bought with it the dullness, boredom and lethargy. My inquisitive mind grabbed the opportunity to get in touch with the people around me, some serious some happy and felt that it is here the best of the communication to the almighty is happening than in temples, churches and mosques, equality could be seen here for various reasons. 
A person whom I saw last night grabbed my attention who was sitting on a chair in front of the CCU. A man very lean in his early 40 and could not find any anxiety, sorrow,pain or grief on his face. 
An introvert a person who was not talking to anyone or rather say no one was talking to him. I felt like getting to know more about this person. The situation with my father in law was now stable and I had the time and mind to do all this kind of things. I went near him and he was cold and I did not see even a bit of sleep in his eyes. The chairs next to him had heaps of things like sheets Water bottle Which belonged to other by stander’s , the silence of the place was broken by the cry of a lady, it was the death of someone very close to her and people forgetting the fact that they too have issues and someone lying in the CCU where running to know the matter, human mind so complex and confusing.

Day 3 

I was waken when my wife came and called me, it was 06:30 am and my duty at the hospitals is done and she will take over the charge as I will go back to my usual chores and return to the hospital only by night. looking  for the stranger and he has already left the place. I named him Mr Peculiar for so many reasons. He never showed any liking in getting to know each other as he sat all alone. 

08:30 pm

The day was very hectic than usual and I was tired and as I came to the hospital for the night shift saw Mr peculiar who made a glance , a very cold glance at me but with the same kind of expression. I  just did not have any thought of going to him and only thing I remember was sitting on a chair and I slept like never before. The sleep gave me good energy and I woke up for a great day.

Day 4

I made it to my home, had my usual morning chores and was back at the hospital.The chair that used to be occupied by Mr Peculiar was but was loaded with belongings of others.I sat on the very next chair and still felt the coldness of the man who is still a mystery to me. A lady was sitting opposite me and her eyes very well suggesting her agony and pain.Her breath was heavy and one could hear it from a distance. 
The silence was broken as all of a sudden the lady got up from the chair that resulted in a violent jerk on hearing the name “Tom” being summoned from the CCU. Tom ? do not know who that is, might be her husband , son or brother but surely Tom was a big concern and someone very near and dear. It was a call to get some medicines. 
She was back at the seat after doing what was asked for. Took a purse out opened it and kept some papers in it. That few seconds was all enough for me to get the glimpse of a photo to be more elaborate that had Mr Peculiar the lady and a boy of around 10 years of age. 
So Mr Peculiar is the husband of the lady and Tom their son. I had to go out for some personal matters and my day duty at the hospital was limited to a couple of hours. 

09:30 pm

As I came back to the hospital for my night shift it was almost 09:30 and I went straight to the CCU, enquired the condition of my father in law and got to know that he is doing great and recovering fast.Mr Peculiar has still not occupied his seat and what my plan was to find a place to sit all alone and read something, went to the first floor where there is a chapel and an ATM. It was so silent as no one was present there and I sat on a chair next to the window. I felt the cool calming breeze and it was drizzling with the street still bustling with activity. 
 The languishment was invading my senses and I was falling asleep. The book fell from my hand and I woke up suddenly to see the tall lean Mr Peculiar standing in front of me which made a chill run in my spine. 
It took a few seconds to get my composure back and asked him to sit and he chose to be opposite of me. I told him about the lady and the photograph, but he had the very strange look on his face which showed no sign of any concern to what I was saying. It was at this time that I noticed a big wound on his head which was not healed. Thought of asking him about the wound , but why should I to a person who is least concerned about his surroundings. 
The calm moment had an abrupt end with a loud cry and could see people run towards the corridor. Interestingly me and Mr P did not move a finger. It  was the second time that this kind of a situation happened. This aroused a lot of questions as, why he is not smiling or attending calls from the CCU. It was the young man or the lady herself doing everything. Is he doing the right thing by sitting simply and letting destiny work it’s way. 
The ennui of over straining myself for the last 3 days has started taking its toll. The prayer from the chapel woke me and I had dozed off for a couple of hours which made me regain some energy. Mr Peculiar was still sitting with his eyes wide open and no sleep in his eyes, asked if he is interested in accompanying me for a good cup of coffee and without a word as reply started to walk along with me to the hotel. Still denied my offer for a coffee with a gentle gesture of his head. Why is he like this, is it his son’s health condition that is making him behave like this. It was almost dawn and the hospital was reaching its chaotic mode.
The lady and the young man was sitting in front of the CCU, Ah why the hell is this person not talking to them  or doing anything, are they divorced may be that is the reason. Nothing for me to be bothered as I was waiting for my wife to come so that I can leave. As my wife came I thought of introducing Mr P to her but he has already left the place and nowhere to be seen. Before parting I told her to enquire about the Lady and Mr P and also briefed about his strange behaviour 

Day 5

It was a hectic day and the phone was engaged all the time and battery ran out by late afternoon and it was a phone less day thereafter. I sometimes think of the mobile phone  as a boon or a bane. I reached home only to take a shower and make it back to the hospital to relieve my wife from duty. Kept the phone for charging and when switching it back on, there was a lot of messages from my wife, I called her back and she did not respond, worried I rushed to the hospital. Standing in front of the hospital was Mr Peculiar but to my disbelief he was with a calm smiling face. God what is happening, the moment he saw me ,came running and with utmost joy and enthusiasm opened his mouth to say “ My Son has come back to life”. Oh what a relief. As I tried to hold his hand as a gesture of consolation he just went away with the same hurry as he had come to me. Very strangely behaving man , but I felt happy for him and his wife. My wife’s messages , they came speeding into my mind, why and what could be wrong ,is her Father alright , Oh God ...

I went running to where my wife usually sits , Alaa there she is standing with the mother of Tom and so many bystanders around them. I yelled my wives name and the very moment she saw me came dashing and I could very clearly see the horrified look on her face and the people gathered around too had the very same kind of expression.
What is happening and is your father all right , I asked. She was breathing hard and heart pounding, she said in a trembling voice. “Yes father is all right “. So what could have gone wrong now. I approached the mother of Tom and asked her to thank God for the blessings and Told her that I got the good news from her husband as I was entering the hospital and he was happy and rushing to some place. The moment I told her this incident she lost her consciousness and all gathered there was staring at me as if I did something wrong. “This is the issue that everyone is concerned with as you are in touch with the boys father”  my wife whispered in my ears. So what I asked , what is the issue in that and we were together for the last one week and he was there with me throughout the night shift. You all should understand that he too was worried and silent for the past whole week but only today he talked to me and he was very happy. If there is any family issues it should not be a concern at this kind of situations, I had noticed that he was neglected by his wife and everyone, I spoke from the bottom of my heart and I was interrupted by my wife who came near me with an old newspaper dated 15-09-2009, almost a month before my father in laws hospital admission and meeting Mr Peculiar. She showed me a news and I could see her hand shivering. In that it was written about a tragic accident involving a bike and an unknown vehicle. “10 year old boy survived with serious injuries, hospitalised and father lost his life on the spot “.............








No comments:

Post a Comment